Libido is just another name for sex drive and it varies from individual to individual. Having a low libido is not necessarily a problem, but if you wish to boost your libido, you can always try to naturally increase your sex drive.
Some individuals have a higher sex drive and the reasons for that may include
- Exercising: Study suggests that people who engage in physical activity tend to have higher sex drives.
- Changes in neurotransmitters: Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that can cause hypersexuality and sexual compulsions.
- Testosterone: Research suggests there may be a link between higher testosterone levels in men and higher sex drives.
Reasons why you might have a lower sex drive can include
- Menopause: During menopause, sexual hormones decrease causing a decline in sex drive and arousal.
- Mental health: Studies have found that individuals with mental health conditions may have a higher risk of sexual dysfunction leading to a decrease in sex drive.
- Age: As a person ages, their sex drive fluctuates.
- Obesity: There is some research to suggest that a link exists between obesity and sexual dysfunction.
- Chronic conditions: Chronic health conditions, such as diabetes and heart disease, can cause sexual dysfunction resulting in reduced sex drive.
- Pregnancy: One study found that women tended to reduce their sexual activity during pregnancy.
- Relationship satisfaction: The libido of some females may decrease depending on their satisfaction with the relationship.
- Medication: Medicines or treatments may cause a decrease in a person’s sex drive.
Relationship difficulties, health concerns and age can all affect libido. While low libido is not usually problematic, it can affect a person’s relationships and self-esteem. Now that you know some of the reason why you might have a low sex drive, let’s take a look at some natural ways to increase your sex drive.
- Learn to manage stress and anxiety
No matter how healthy you are, anxiety and stress can cause havoc in your sex life. Having high levels of anxiety can act as a barrier to healthy sexual functioning. Also, life stresses can leave you fatigued resulting in a low sexual drive. There are a lot of things you can do to manage anxiety including
- Practicing meditation
- Eating a well-balanced diet
- Exercising regularly
- Talking to a therapist
- Practicing holistic treatments
- Focus on foreplay
For women, foreplay is important as it leads to having better sexual experiences that may naturally increase a person’s sex drive, thereby boosting their libido. In many cases, people can enhance their sexual experiences by spending more time on touching, kissing, using sex toys, and performing oral sex.
- Get good quality sleep
Quality sleep improves a person’s overall mood and energy levels and certain studies have linked better sleep with increased sex drive.
- Follow healthy lifestyle habits
Maintaining optimum weight, exercising regularly, eating a nutritious diet, avoid smoking and alcohol consumption, basically following a healthy lifestyle also are natural ways to increase sex drive.
If the problems of low libido are due to stress or relationship-based, there are several approaches that may help. Your holistic health therapist may suggest counselling to devise a plan to overcome any issues that may be affecting your relationship.
There are a lot of different approaches that may naturally increase your sex drive.
However, it’s important to remember that every couple is different and it may take a little experimentation to find out what works best for you.