Sciatica that it is a term used to describe nerve pain in the leg caused by irritation or compression of the sciatic nerve. Also, it originates in the lower back and radiates deep into the buttock travelling down the leg. We’ll soon go over some details on how to treat sciatica holistically.
- It affects around 10% to 40% of the population, typically around the age of 40 years.
- You are at risk of developing sciatica if you are in certain types of occupation where physically strenuous positions are used.
- If you often bend your spine forward or sideways or raise your arms frequently above the shoulder level you may be at risk of sciatica.
Other facts about sciatica:
- Most people who experience sciatica typically get better within 4 to 6 weeks with holistic sciatica treatments.
- Recovery may take longer if severe neurological deficits are present.
- 33% of people may have persistent symptoms up to 1 year.
- If there is severe nerve compression with progressive symptoms, then you might require surgery.
When suffering from it, you might have a burning sensation, numbness, weakness or pain. It may feel like pins and needles or like getting an electrical shock or being stabbed with a knife. If you experience these symptoms, know this about sciatica that it is serious:
- Progressive neurological symptoms
- Symptoms in both legs
- Bowel or bladder dysfunction
- Sexual dysfunction
Now here are some tips on how to treat sciatica holistically:
- Rest it out- About 80%-90% of people with sciatic nerve pain get better within a few weeks.
- Stay active- While some rest is good, don’t stay off your feet for too long. Go for short walks, do some stretching.
- Heat or cold- Both heat and cold treatments can be effective to give you relief.
- Work with a holistic therapist- Correct your posture, drink some herbal tea to relieve the pain, eat a balanced diet.
- Try acupuncture- Find a licensed practitioner to help you ease the pain with fine needles.
- Massage therapy- A professional massage not only relaxes and rejuvenated it also eases pain by improving blood circulation.