WHAT IS CANCER?
Cancer, also called malignancy, is the uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells that can infiltrate normal body tissues anywhere in the body. These abnormal cells are termed cancer cells, malignant cells, or tumor cells.
Healthy cells in our bodies divide and replace themselves in a controlled fashion. Cancer starts when a cell is somehow altered so that it multiplies out of control. A mass composed of a cluster of such abnormal cells is called a tumor. Though most cancers form tumors, not all tumors are cancerous.
There are more than 100 types of cancer, including breast cancer, skin cancer, lung cancer, colon cancer, prostate cancer, and lymphoma.
The major types of cancer are:
- Carcinoma- The most commonly diagnosed cancers originate in the skin, lungs, breasts, pancreas and other organs and glands.
- Sarcoma- Relatively uncommon, they arise in bone, muscle, fat, blood vessels, cartilage or other soft or connective tissues of the body.
- Melanoma- Cancers that arise in the cells that make the pigment in the skin.
- Lymphoma- Cancers of lymphocytes.
- Leukaemia- Cancer of the blood.
Oncologists, cancer specialists have made remarkable advances in diagnosis, prevention and treatment significantly improving quality of life and extending survival. However, some forms of the disease remain frustratingly difficult to treat.
WHAT ARE CANCER CAUSES AND SYMPTOMS?
Symptoms and signs of cancer depend on the type of cancer, where it is located, and/or where the cancer cells have spread.
For example, breast cancer may present as a lump in the breast or as nipple discharge while metastatic breast cancer may present with symptoms of pain, extreme fatigue or seizures.
Although general signs and symptoms are not very specific the following can be found in patients with different cancers:
- Obvious change in the size, color, shape, or thickness of a wart or mole
- Thickening or lump in the breast, testicles, or elsewhere
- Weight loss
- Skin changes
- Change in bowel or bladder function
- Unusual bleeding
- Persistent cough or voice change
- Tissue masses
The incidence of cancer and cancer types are influenced by many factors such as:
- Local environmental factors
- Chemical or toxic compound exposures
- Ionizing radiation
CAN I TREAT CANCER WITH HOLISTIC HEALTH TREATMENT?
Always discuss your health concerns with a medical professional.
Treatment protocols vary according to the type and stage of cancer. Most treatment protocols are designed to fit the individual patient's disease and may include chemotherapy, radiation, and/or surgery.
Overall, the goal is to relieve pain and other symptoms, maintain general health, improve quality of life and provide support to patients and their families.
- Stop tobacco intake
- Avoiding excess sunlight
- Avoid chemicals and toxins
- Avoiding contact with certain viruses and other pathogens
Although some holistic treatments may help reduce symptoms, there is no evidence that they can cure any cancers, but they surely can provide supportive care. Good nutrition, a balanced diet and alternative treatments can help individuals fight cancer.
However, patients are strongly recommended to discuss any complementary and alternative treatments with their oncologist before beginning any of complementary and alternative treatment protocols.
Have a question about Cancer? ASK A PRACTITIONER or FIND A PRACTITIONER today.