If you are reading this article, chances are you or someone you know is suffering from back pain. Did you know:
- Low back pain is the single leading cause of disability worldwide.
- Experts estimate 80% of the population will experience a back problem at some time in their lives.
Despite how common backaches are, the cause of the pain is often unclear and there is no clear treatment for most low back pain. Holistic health treatment for back pain and medical doctors recommend standard care that includes a balance of rest, stretching and exercise, heat, pain relievers and chiropractic care.
What is chiropractic? Who gives chiropractic care?
Categorised as complementary medicine or holistic health treatment option, chiropractic care is given by a certified chiropractor who as a holistic health care professional focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of neuromuscular disorders. They manipulate the spine through manual adjustment seeking to reduce pain, improve the functionality of the back and educate patients on how they can take charge of their back health through treatments, exercises, ergonomics. Chiropractic is more than just a solution for back pain, it’s key to a healthy lifestyle.
The role of chiropractic care
Chiropractors manipulate or adjust the spine to improve pain and mobility, but the benefits may extend beyond the back and neck. Chiropractors by using varying degrees of force, try to improve the relationship between the spine and nervous system, which holistic health experts believe may have a positive effect on the functions of all the organs and systems in the body.
Trained in multiple methods of assessing lower back pain, chiropractors work their way around your back pain by following:
- Evaluation and management services- They examine the joints, bones, muscles and tendons of the spine, head, extremities and other areas of the body with the purpose of noting any misalignment, tenderness, asymmetry, defects or other problems.
- Neurologic examination procedures- They might have to perform a variety of neurologic tests that might include nerve root compression/tension, motor strength, coordination, deep tendon and pathological reflexes, etc.
- Specialized assessment- They also assess a range of motion, stability, muscle strength, muscle tone.
Health benefits of chiropractic care?
With regular adjustments, chiropractic care offers a host of preventative health benefits that are vital for keeping your body balanced, flexible and functioning at its best. Benefits of routine chiropractic care may include any of the following:
- Improved nerve communication
- Improved joint motion and coordination
- Improved physical function and performance
- Improved posture
- Relief from back and neck pain
- Relief from leg, knee, foot and ankle pain
- Relief from arm, wrist, shoulders or elbow pain
- Relief from stress and tension disorders
- Relief from joint discomfort
- Relief from bursitis
- Relief from arthritis
- Relief from chronic injuries
A chiropractor’s tips to prevent back pain
- Maintain a healthy diet and weight
- Remain active
- Avoid prolonged inactivity or bed rest
- Warm-up or stretch before exercising
- Maintain proper posture
- Wear comfortable shoes
- Sleep on a mattress of medium firmness
- Quit smoking
Connect with certified chiropractors who promote ongoing wellness by improving spinal and joint function resulting in a healthier, active lifestyle. Everyone, from growing children to active seniors, can benefit from regular chiropractic care.
Have a question about your back pain? Ask a question on how to start dealing with your back pain from a vetted with a holistic health practitioner.